What is involved in Hybrid WAN
Find out what the related areas are that Hybrid WAN connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Hybrid WAN thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Hybrid WAN journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Hybrid WAN leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Hybrid WAN related domains to cover and 80 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Hybrid WAN, Cloud computing, Command line interface, Data center, Desktop virtualization, Edge device, Frame relay, Go to market, High-definition video, Internet access, Low latency, Nemertes Research, Network World, Network congestion, Network emulation, Packet loss, Policy-based management, Service-level agreement, Software-defined networking, Streaming media, Wide area network:
Hybrid WAN Critical Criteria:
Grasp Hybrid WAN engagements and get going.
– Do those selected for the Hybrid WAN team have a good general understanding of what Hybrid WAN is all about?
– Among the Hybrid WAN product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
– Is there a Hybrid WAN Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
Cloud computing Critical Criteria:
Devise Cloud computing governance and cater for concise Cloud computing education.
– How might we classify current cloud computing offerings across a spectrum, and how do the technical and business challenges differ depending on where in the spectrum a particular offering lies?
– Business Considerations. Business considerations include the overall organizational readiness for using cloud computing. Is the application owner willing and comfortable with a cloud platform?
– Data classification: how sensitive is the data that will be placed in the cloud (e.g., confidential, critical, public) and what controls should be in place to ensure it is properly protected?
– What are the specific security and integrity threats to cloud computing storage systems that do not exist in private data centers?
– Provider viability: what happens to your organizations applications and data in the event that the provider goes out of business?
– Change in technology and prices over time: what will billing units be like for the higher-level virtualization clouds?
– How do you prove data provenance in a cloud computing scenario when you are using shared resources?
– What is the future scope for combination of Business Intelligence and Cloud Computing?
– In which ways will Cloud Computing influence our approach Service Management
– Which cloud service model encompasses the complete cloud computing stack?
– Will Cloud Computing replace traditional dedicated server hosting?
– Is cloud computing affecting traditional hardware vendors?
– How is cloud computing shaping enterprise communications?
– Is there any recourses about cloud computing performance?
– What are the usability issues around cloud computing?
– What are reasons to say no to cloud computing?
– How energy efficient is cloud computing?
– What happened to grid computing?
Command line interface Critical Criteria:
Generalize Command line interface goals and innovate what needs to be done with Command line interface.
– How do we manage Hybrid WAN Knowledge Management (KM)?
– What are the short and long-term Hybrid WAN goals?
Data center Critical Criteria:
Understand Data center tactics and describe the risks of Data center sustainability.
– Are we a listed company, if so ask ourselves this: Disaster recovery planning, or its lack, will affect a companys equity position. why buy stock in a company that will disappear should the data center go down?
– In a virtualized data center, guest operating system kernels were modified to eliminate the need for binary translation. which compute virtualization technique was used?
– Determine if the data center has Service Level Agreements with the clients it serves. if so, do they measure themselves for compliance with the agreement?
– Does the cloud solution offer equal or greater data security capabilities than those provided by your organizations data center?
– Do operating procedures require systems to undergo a security/vulnerability scan before being placed into production?
– Which report should an administrator use to know both historic and current utilization of storage in a data center?
– Which applications are best suited for the internal data center, and which ones make sense for the public cloud?
– Should the dataset be deposited in a national, international or discipline-based data center?
– Do any countries force cloud based companies to house data within that countrys data centers?
– What is a benefit of automated site failover capability in a data center environment?
– Is stuff in the cloud on the same legal footing as stuff in your data center?
– Is the priority of system restores documented in the disaster recovery plan?
– What is the best strategy going forward for data center disaster recovery?
– What potential environmental factors impact the Hybrid WAN effort?
– What are all of our Hybrid WAN domains and what do they do?
– How many and where are located the providers data centers?
– How do you prepare your data center for Cloud?
Desktop virtualization Critical Criteria:
X-ray Desktop virtualization tactics and correct better engagement with Desktop virtualization results.
– How would the developing vdi (vmware) and ddi (citrix) solutions meet the desktop virtualization challenges presented by ringling college?
– How can you negotiate Hybrid WAN successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– How do mission and objectives affect the Hybrid WAN processes of our organization?
– Do we monitor the Hybrid WAN decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
Edge device Critical Criteria:
Read up on Edge device tactics and reinforce and communicate particularly sensitive Edge device decisions.
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that Hybrid WAN objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our Hybrid WAN agendas for the next 3 years?
– How will IoT edge devices be monitored, managed and updated?
– How to Secure Hybrid WAN?
Frame relay Critical Criteria:
Transcribe Frame relay tactics and adopt an insight outlook.
– Can we do Hybrid WAN without complex (expensive) analysis?
Go to market Critical Criteria:
Steer Go to market results and describe which business rules are needed as Go to market interface.
– Is the Hybrid WAN organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
– Have all basic functions of Hybrid WAN been defined?
– What will drive Hybrid WAN change?
High-definition video Critical Criteria:
Huddle over High-definition video outcomes and gather practices for scaling High-definition video.
– How do your measurements capture actionable Hybrid WAN information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your Hybrid WAN processes?
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Hybrid WAN leader?
Internet access Critical Criteria:
Mix Internet access decisions and gather practices for scaling Internet access.
– Does Hybrid WAN analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
– How do we Identify specific Hybrid WAN investment and emerging trends?
– How will you measure your Hybrid WAN effectiveness?
Low latency Critical Criteria:
Wrangle Low latency failures and define what do we need to start doing with Low latency.
– In the case of a Hybrid WAN project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a Hybrid WAN project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any Hybrid WAN project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
– Do Hybrid WAN rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
– What are internal and external Hybrid WAN relations?
Nemertes Research Critical Criteria:
Add value to Nemertes Research failures and gather Nemertes Research models .
– what is the best design framework for Hybrid WAN organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
– How important is Hybrid WAN to the user organizations mission?
Network World Critical Criteria:
Adapt Network World goals and look at it backwards.
– Think of your Hybrid WAN project. what are the main functions?
– Does Hybrid WAN appropriately measure and monitor risk?
Network congestion Critical Criteria:
Cut a stake in Network congestion engagements and describe which business rules are needed as Network congestion interface.
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its Hybrid WAN processes?
– What is our formula for success in Hybrid WAN ?
Network emulation Critical Criteria:
Design Network emulation visions and tour deciding if Network emulation progress is made.
– Have the types of risks that may impact Hybrid WAN been identified and analyzed?
Packet loss Critical Criteria:
Chat re Packet loss visions and catalog Packet loss activities.
– What are the disruptive Hybrid WAN technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Hybrid WAN?
Policy-based management Critical Criteria:
Think about Policy-based management engagements and modify and define the unique characteristics of interactive Policy-based management projects.
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as Hybrid WAN leaders?
Service-level agreement Critical Criteria:
Interpolate Service-level agreement failures and look in other fields.
– Consider your own Hybrid WAN project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– In terms of service availability, can you get your vendor to sign a service-level agreement?
– Why should we adopt a Hybrid WAN framework?
Software-defined networking Critical Criteria:
Accommodate Software-defined networking issues and pay attention to the small things.
– For your Hybrid WAN project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– How likely is the current Hybrid WAN plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
Streaming media Critical Criteria:
Boost Streaming media outcomes and prioritize challenges of Streaming media.
Wide area network Critical Criteria:
Illustrate Wide area network decisions and suggest using storytelling to create more compelling Wide area network projects.
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Hybrid WAN forward?
– Is Supporting Hybrid WAN documentation required?
– How do we maintain Hybrid WANs Integrity?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Hybrid WAN Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Hybrid WAN External links:
SD-WAN and Hybrid WAN with Broadband | SD-WAN Experts
Silver Peak Service Provider SD-WAN & Hybrid WAN …
Turbo-boost your Hybrid WAN with SD-WAN
Cloud computing External links:
REAN Cloud – Managed Services | Cloud Computing | …
Cloud Computing Trends
http://Ad · www.bmc.com/Cloud-Computing
Cloud Computing Trends
http://Ad · www.bmc.com/Cloud-Computing
Command line interface External links:
Command Line Interface Reference (v6.6.x) – Symantec
P3ICLI (PowerPoint Picture Insert Command Line Interface)
Command line interface for WordPress | WP-CLI
Data center External links:
Open Data Portal | NJOIT Open Data Center
Lenovo Official US Site | Computers, Smartphones, Data Center
ADE Data Center – Home
Desktop virtualization External links:
Application and Desktop Virtualization – Citrix
Edge device External links:
Tactical Edge Device | Harris
iSTAR Ultra Video – Access Control + Video Edge Device
Frame relay External links:
Frame Relay VS ATM – 74127 – The Cisco Learning Network
Browse and Read Frame Relay Frame Relay frame relay
Download and Read Frame Relay Frame Relay frame relay
Internet access External links:
Private Internet Access – Official Site
Access from AT&T – Discount Internet Access
DISA Multi-Host Internet Access Portal
Low latency External links:
Font Awesome CDN – Open Source, Low Latency, HTTP/2
Low Latency Network Switches and Network Cards | Exablaze
Low Latency Cloud Networking Solutions – Arista
Nemertes Research External links:
Nemertes Research – Home | Facebook
Nemertes Research – MapQuest
Network World External links:
Novosti mira – Information and advertising network World …
DNSHighWay Our Network World Map power by HostingBuY
Network congestion External links:
Solving network congestion | MIT EECS
Network Congestion? | Verizon Community
Network emulation External links:
Marmot – Emulab – Network Emulation Testbed Home
tesuto.com – Network Emulation at Scale
Packet loss External links:
Packet loss and latency report |THWACK
4 Ways to Fix the Packet Loss Issue – Small Business Trends
100% Packet Loss | Verizon Community
Software-defined networking External links:
Streaming media External links:
Streaming Media Services – technet.microsoft.com
OmniBox TV | The Largest Streaming Media In The World
Streaming Media & Television | senate.ca.gov
Wide area network External links:
A wide area network (WAN) is a geographically dispersed telecommunications network. The term distinguishes a broader telecommunication structure from a local area network (LAN). A wide area network may be privately owned or rented, but the term usually connotes the inclusion of public (shared user) networks.